Ask your Cross Border Tax Questions Here…


I’ve started this post to help those having trouble answering their Canada-US cross border expat tax and financial planning questions. Please leave your question in the comments and we’ll do our best to help answer.

Also don’t forget to keep current on cross border tax and financial planning matters by signing up for our cross border newsletter.

Please ensure to use your email address (not public) when commenting so you can be notified of new replies.

Likely question categories will include:

  • cross border tax questions
  • compliance and foreign reporting
  • late US tax returns
  • questions about holding US investments as a Canadian resident e.g. 401k, IRA, ROTH IRA, etc.
  • moving to Canada
  • moving to the US
  • non-resident tax issues
  • CRA or IRS dispute resolution issues

I look forward to your questions and please don’t hesitate to help answer anything below if you feel like you can contribute.

READ  New Postcard Sized 1040 for 2018


  1. I moved to Canada with a variety of different accounts. I just realized that although I didn’t need to file my ira or 401k on my T1135 I was supposed to file something with CCRA with respect to my roth ira. what should I do?

    thank you

  2. do I have to report my corporate bank accounts on my FBAR? I can’t seem to find a good answer to this and my accountant says he’s not worried about it.

  3. I was born in the US and my brother says I need to file US tax returns even though I’ve live in Canada my whole life. Is this true? do I file a 1040 or 1040NR?

  4. I moved to Canada in 2011 and had a relatively small IRA when I crossed. I will be receiving a rather large inheritance from my father who lives in the US. I would like to move the money to Canada when I get it. Does it have to stay down there? Or is their a waiting period? Is US inheritance taxed in Canada or the US?


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here