Author Topic: How long can I stay in Canada without a permit?  (Read 263 times)

Shindle

• View Profile
How long can I stay in Canada without a permit?
« on: October 18, 2017, 04:12:23 PM »
As mentioned in another thread, I am looking to move to Canada to help an aunt.

I am not sure if I can stay in Canada without going through a process or not. I do not plan to stay indefinitely. Just for 2 or 3 years max. I work from home and own my own online businesses so I am in no need for work and can easily work from Canada no problem. Do I need a permit to stay in Canada? If I do... What is the longest I can physically stay in Canada without one, assuming I am staying at my aunt's house?

Seemlyhel233

• View Profile
Re: How long can I stay in Canada without a permit?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 07:45:54 PM »
You can legally stay (as a US citizen) in Canada for 6 months or 180 days. After that, you will need to leave unless you have a valid permit that says otherwise.

Paperha1299

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 06:05:52 PM »
You can legally stay (as a US citizen) in Canada for 6 months or 180 days. After that, you will need to leave unless you have a valid permit that says otherwise.

Is this the only country to allow this? I was born in the UK and had no idea you could actually stay in Canada that long with no papers. I became a US citizen when I was younger (teen) when my mother married a US citizen. This was back in the 90's.

AndreaBastin

• View Profile
    • Bastin and Willetts
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 11:31:42 AM »
You are issued a temporary residency visa - this TRV is in fact your "papers".  For US citizens, you will get it at the border (your stamp in your passport is the record of your TRV)  You can extend your TRV to stay here longer if you have reason to.  However, as a care giver, you need to be careful that you are not considered to be working in Canada as a care giver.  A tricky situation, to be sure. 
Andrea Bastin
Bastin and Willetts Canada Immigration Services
andrea@bastinandwilletts.com