Author Topic: Can I become a citizen after attending school in Canada?  (Read 216 times)

Yoshi72Crayon

• View Profile
Can I become a citizen after attending school in Canada?
« on: September 26, 2017, 04:59:26 PM »
I am currently planning my future and will be attending York University  in 2018. I am just curious if I can become a citizen after if I decide to stay?
I am not sure if my student visa can be transitioned from that to becoming a citizen or not.

KerryB

• View Profile
Re: Can I become a citizen after attending school in Canada?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 03:49:21 PM »
Yes you can stay but you will have to go through the visa change and sign on for the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program. From there, you can eventually become a citizen. It is actually easier form what I understand to do it this way as you have already been staying in Canada for school. Do you intend on staying in the country full term or will you be traveling back in the summer months?

silver-surf

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 03:56:13 PM »
I would like to add that the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program is fairly straight forward and easy to get done. I have a friend who's nephew did this. He ended up staying in Canada for work after graduating. This was back in 2012 so I am not sure if anything has changed since then.

AndreaBastin

• View Profile
    • Bastin and Willetts
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 03:43:47 PM »
Other posters are correct.  From university you may qualify for a post graduate work permit.  If you obtain skilled work experience during the period that your work permit is valid for (A O or B jobs as defined by Canada's NOC code http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/noc.asp), you can apply for Permanent Residence, or PR.

PR is the first step.  If you live in Canada, you would then begin to build on the residency required to apply for citizenship, which is the second step.

Study permit for University
Post graduate work permit
PR application
Citizenship application

Andrea Bastin
Bastin and Willetts Canada Immigration Services
andrea@bastinandwilletts.com